Sunday, January 20, 2013

Adventure Lurks Around Every Corner...

Corpus Christi Hiking/Biking Trail - Photo by Joe Vulgamore
As I sit watching the Mavericks Invitational, I'm reminded how blessed I am to live where I do.

Loving adventure as I do, I am very fortunate to live in South Texas. Not really known as an "Adventurers Paradise", Corpus has more to offer than meets the eye... especially for the weekend adventurer. But having a mix of semi-arid and sub-tropical terrains, one doesn't need to look very far to find something to whet the adventure appetite.

From here I can surf about a hundred or so days a year, while not world class, it still gives me a fix. I can take advantage of a few good bike trails that provide a moderate level of difficulty, if you know where to go. We have a ton of wind for all kinds of other things like wind surfing, kite boarding, and sailing. There are plenty of guys who are into powered paragliding, scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing, camping, hunting, and more.
A couple of hours to the north lies San Antonio and Austin which brings better hiking and biking trails. Also close is the Texas Hill Country, which gives more in the way of hiking and camping and also allows for some decent rock climbing.

The only thing missing that I can think of are a few good cliffs for BASE jumping, but we do have a skydiving school 15 miles away in Port Aransas.

The point of this post is that there is adventure around every nook and cranny in most places and if you look hard enough, you will find it.

So get out there and look, you may be pleasantly surprised at what you find...

No comments:

Post a Comment